Munot Fortress: Looking up the hill towards The Munot from the old town district

Image

Description

The Munot is a circular (ring-shaped) 16th century fortification for defense of the canton south of the Swiss city of Schaffhausen. It is surrounded by vineyards and serves as the city’s symbol. It was an artillery fortress overlooking the Rhine river with elevated cannon emplacements. It was already rather militarily outmoded by the time it was built. The city of Schaffhausen came into being at the location where trading ships had to set anchor because the Rhine Falls made it impossible to travel further.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Plazas

  • Castles

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Sixteenth century

Place of Creation
  • +47.696944+8.639722

  • Schaffhausen, Schaffhausen, Switzerland

  • Schaffhausen

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Switzerland

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.