Hierapolis: Context view of ruins

Image

Description

Hierapolis was first excavated by the German archaeologist Carl Humann (1839-1896) during the months June to July 1887. Excavations began in earnest in 1957.

Site in south-west Anatolia, Turkey. The town was built on a travertine terrace formed by sediments of hot mineral-rich springs; it was used as a thermal spa. The name Pamukkale means “cotton castle” after the white sediment. It was founded in the 2nd century BCE by the Pergamene kings at an important strategic position; it became part of the Roman province of Asia in 133 BCE, and during the Empire it was a prosperous trading centre. Christianity was introduced early; the apostle Philip died here (martyred by crucifixion, 80 CE). In the 4th and 5th centuries AD it was the seat of a bishop. It gradually fell into decay and was probably abandoned with the coming of the Saljuqs (12th century). It is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Hierapolis (Pamukkale)

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Archaeological sites

  • Ruins

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Hellenistic

  • Imperial (Roman)

  • Phrygian

Place of Creation
  • Pamukkale

  • Pamukkale, Aegean Region, Turkey

  • +37.933333+29.133333

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Turkey

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.