Founded by the Dominicans in 1125 as part of their friary. Also known as Basilica Cateriniana, since it contains several relics of St. Catherine of Siena, whose family house is nearby. The interior is on the Egyptian cross plan with a huge nave covered by trusses and with a transept featuring high chapels. The bell tower was reduced in height after an earthquake in 1798.
Basilica of San Domenico: Distant view, facade and campanileImage
|Place of Creation|
|Departments and Units|
|Record Visibility and Access||Public|
|Collections Featuring this Image|
|Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy|