Saint Peter's Basilica: Angels and Holy Water basin

Image

Description

One of two colossal basins, completed 1725 by Agostino Cornacchini; this one is on the south side of the nave.

Bramante was hired by Julius II to begin a radical reconstruction, to replace Old Saint Peter’s, and intensive planning by Bramante, Giuliano da Sangallo and Fra Giovanni Giocondo preceded the laying of the foundation stone on 18 April 1506. Since Bramante’s first designs of 1506, half a dozen architects had worked under five successive popes, all bringing their own revisions with them. In the 18 remaining years of his life Michelangelo succeeded in ‘uniting into a whole the great body of that machine’ (Vasari), ensuring that the crossing and dome would follow his overall design, even though the façade and nave remained unresolved. His new design, as presented in the engravings (1569) by Etienne Dupérac, took the form of a centralized building over a Greek cross. The façade was built between 1607 and 1625, and the nave was finally consecrated in 1626; the confessio was built to Maderno’s design in 1615-1616.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • St. Peter’s Basilica

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Decorative arts

  • Basilicas

  • Sculpture, Italian

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Renaissance

Place of Creation
  • +41.902222+12.453333

  • Rome (Vatican City), Santa Sede (Holy See), Italy: Piazza San Pietro

  • Vatican City

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.