Lyon Cathedral: Overall aerial view, from further up the Fourvière hill

Image

Description

The cathedral was rebuilt from 1170 to 1180 by Bishop Guichard. The conservatism of the canons is apparent in such archaisms as a bench for the clergy round the inside of the apse; in the very traditional plan (a seven-sided polygonal apse leading out of a straight-ended choir, with squared-off side chapels); and in the style, which is still Romanesque, with blind arcading, fluted pilasters in the triforium, and triple windows in the straight bays. The Gothic style first appears in the transept (with pointed arches in the triforium). The chapel of the Bourbons, built in the second half of the 15th century on the south side of the nave, is the most beautiful example of Flamboyant in the Lyonnais.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Cathédrale Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Lyon

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Cathedrals

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Romanesque

  • Gothic (Medieval)

Place of Creation
  • Lyon, Rhône-Alpes, France: west bank of the Saône river at the foot of the Fourvière hill

  • Lyon

  • +45.760556+4.8275

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.