Dendera, Hathor Temple: Raking view of Hathor temple showing the Hathor capitals

Image

Description

The Greco-Roman Temple of Hathor is the grandest and most richly decorated of its period. The earliest dated inscriptions refer to Ptolemy XII (reigned 80-58 BCE; 55-51 BCE); its outer hypostyle hall was dedicated in November AD 34. It was built of sandstone on the conventional Egyptian plan, but only the inner apartments were completed. A remarkable feature is the use of the emblem of Hathor, the Hathor head, which also forms part of the naos-shaped sistrum, a musical instrument used in her worship. The capitals of the outer hypostyle hall are in the form of naos sistra, their four Hathor heads facing the cardinal points. The head motif is also used throughout the temple interior and on the exterior rear wall.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Temples

  • Ruins

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Ptolemaic

  • Greco-Roman

Place of Creation
  • +26.166667+32.65

  • Dandarah

  • Dendera, Upper Egypt, Egypt

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Egypt

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.