Westminster Abbey; West Portal and Towers: Overall view, lower half of western facade

Image
Und:2v23vt17j0t

Description

The abbey’s two western towers were built between 1722 and 1745 by Nicholas Hawksmoor, constructed from Portland stone to an early example of a Gothic Revival design. Further rebuilding and restoration occurred in the 19th century under Sir George Gilbert Scott. “In 1723, on the death of Wren, he became architect to Westminster Abbey, the west gable (1735) and towers (1734-1745) of which are his; they also are Gothic in texture and feeling rather than in detail. On this occasion the retiring side of his character extended to architecture, and few post-medieval completions have been so sympathetically successful.”

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Towers

  • Clock-towers

  • Churches

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Gothic Revival

Place of Creation
  • +51.499444-0.1275

  • London

  • London, England, United Kingdom: located just to the west of the Palace of Westminster

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Access Rights Open Access
Content License

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of United Kingdom