Église Notre-Dame du Sablon: East side facing gardens

Image

Description

In the 15th century, new churches were founded including Notre-Dame des Victoires (or Notre-Dame du Sablon; choir begun 1436). Built in the 15th and 16th centuries, Notre Dame du Sablon is noted for its four-fold gallery with brightly colored stained-glass windows; the windows of the choir are 14 m tall. Sablon (or Zavel in Dutch) is the name of a district of the city. There are Baroque chapels for the Princes of Thurn and Tassis (1651-1676) executed in black marble by Luke Faid'herbe Malinois. (Lucas Faydherbe of Mechelen).

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Église Notre-Dame des Victoires

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Churches

  • Gardens

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Fifteenth century

  • Late Gothic

Place of Creation
  • +50.840278+4.356111

  • Brussels

  • Brussels, Bruxelles, Belgium

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Belgium

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.