Royal Museum of Fine Arts, Antwerp: Overall view of facade from Leopold de Waelplaats

Image

Description

Designed by Jacob (Jean-Jacques) Winders and Frans Van Dijk, built beginning in 1884, opened in 1890, and completed in 1894. Sculpture on the building includes two bronze figures of Fame with horse-drawn chariots by sculptor Thomas Vincotte, and seven rondel medallions of artists that include Boetius à Bolswert, Frans Floris, Jan Van Eyck, Peter Paul Rubens, Quentin Matsys, Erasmus Quellinus II, and Appelmans, separated by four monumental sculptures representing Architecture, Painting, Sculpture, and Graphics. The building stands in gardens bounded by the Leopold de Waalplaats, the Schildersstraat, the Plaatsnijdersstraat, and the Beeldhouwersstraat. The museum is closed for renovation until the end of 2017.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Koninklijk Museum voor Schone Kunsten van Antwerpen

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Art museums

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Nineteenth century

  • Neoclassical

Place of Creation
  • Antwerp, Flanders, Belgium

  • +51.208333+4.394722

  • Antwerp

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Belgium

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.