Montsouris Park: Visitors strolling around the small lake, with statuary "Shipwrecked"

Image

Description

The public park is fifteen hectares in area, and it is styled as an English garden, a genre popular since the early 19th century. The park was ordained by Napoleon III and Baron Haussmann as part of a plan to add green areas to Paris. The water reservoir in the northeast portion of the park covers an historic entrance to the Paris catacombs. Jean-Claude Alphand (1817-1901), with the assistance of Edouard André (1827-1911), was in charge of laying out and improving the parks; the planting was left to Jean-Pierre Barillet-Deschamps (1824-1873).

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Parc Montsouris

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Gardens

  • Sculpture, French

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Nineteenth century

  • Second Empire

Place of Creation
  • +48.822222+2.338333

  • Paris

  • Paris, Île-de-France, France

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.