Armenia Echmiadzine Cathedral

Image
Und:41687h1704s

Description

Echniadzin, meaning “The Descent of the Only Begotten Son” is an ancient capital located in Armenia. The Cathedral was erected in the 4th century by King Trdat III and Saint Gregory the Illuminator. It was built on top of a pagan temple that had been destroyed by King Trdat. The existing cathedral was rebuilt around 480 AD on the four bases that had survived from a 4th century cruciform basilica. The Cathedral’s present dome and belfry on the western side date from the 17th century. The Cathedral is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. (Armenian Trip.)

The Cathedral is the most important center of the Armenian Apostolic church. It is located in the city of Vagharshapat, Armenia.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Echmiadzin Cathedral

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Cathedral

  • Churches

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Byzantine

  • Early Christian

  • Armenian Architecture

Place of Creation
  • Vagharshapat, Armenia

  • 40.1022+44.1733

  • Etchmiadzin

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.