Hôtel Carnavalet: View of courtyard showing mansard roofs
A work attributed to Lescot, in collaboration with Goujon, is the Hôtel Carnavalet (ca. 1545-1550) in Paris, subsequently altered three times. This was originally built for a a magistrate associated with the Lescot family. A former name is the the Hôtel de Ligneris. It is now the Musee Carnavalet (Carnavalet Museum). The Hôtel Carnavalet was redone in 1655 by Francois Mansart, for Madame De Sevigne, who lived here from 1677 to 1696. In this period (1655-1661) Van Opstal sculpted the stone reliefs on the first storey (still in situ). The 17th century adjoining Hôtel le Peletier (le Peletier de Saint-Fargeau) was added to the museum in 1989 to contain the larger part of the museum’s 20th century interiors. Additional renovations were made in 2000 and the 17th century orangery of the Hôtel le Peletier was restored.