Abbey Church of Saint Austremonius, Issoire: Overall view of the apsidal end
The church of Saint-Austremoine is built on the site of an older chapel raised over the tomb of St. Austremoine (Stremonius). It dates from the twelfth century. In 1832, the church became an historic listed building, after which the facade was restored, and the two towers rebuilt. Between 1855 and 1860, Anatole Dauvergne was commissioned to paint the interior, including the sculpted capitals. The result is subject to controversy, but the somewhat garish colors are probably close to the original appearance. The external masonry is decorated with terra cotta and glazed tile work, the interior is highly decorated as well and noted for the Zodiac symbols in the chevet.