Basilica of San Petronio: Detail, raking view of lower facade, with unfinished facade above

Image

Description

Bologna’s votive and civic basilica is dedicated to Bologna’s patron saint (St. Petronius, eighth bishop of Bologna, reigned 431-450). The Gothic-style church was erected by the Commune between 1390 and the third quarter of the 17th century. Although unfinished, it dominates the skyline and ranks among the largest ecclesiastical buildings in Italy (44.27 m to the crowning of the vaults). Here Charles V was crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Clement VII in 1530. The problem of the great unfinished façade (66 m wide, 51 m high) has never been fully resolved. The present marble socle goes back to Antonio di Vincenzo (1391-1394), while Jacopo della Quercia decorated the Porta Magna with sculpture.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Churches

  • Basilicas

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Gothic (Medieval)

Place of Creation
  • +44.492778+11.343611

  • Bologna

  • Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.