Olympia: Temple of Zeus: View of central facade from Lanzheronivs'ka St.

Image

Description

The Temple of Zeus, in the middle of the Altis, was begun ca. 470 BCE and completed in 456 BCE. This Doric peripteral temple (27.68 x 64.12 m; 6 x 13 columns) was the work of the Elian architect Libon. The largest temple in the Peloponnese, it was considered the finest expression and the ‘canon’ of the Doric order. It was constructed of local shelly limestone covered with white stucco, with only the roof, sima and lion-head waterspouts of Parian marble. Later, the frequent local earthquakes made replacements of Pentelic marble necessary. The marble pedimental groups are among the finest examples of Early Classical sculpture.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Temple of Zeus

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Theaters

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Greek (ancient)

  • Early Classical

Place of Creation
  • Olympia, Peloponnese, Greece: within sanctuary

  • +37.637778+21.63

  • Olympia

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Greece

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.