Vatican Museums: Selected Galleries: Gate and fountain, Vatican Gardens

Image

Description

Pope Julius II established the Belvedere sculpture garden behind the Vatican Palace. The Museo Pio Clementino was constructed by Michelangelo Simonetti, to take the Belvedere sculptures into a new display and to make room for the frantic new collecting of antiquities on which the papacy embarked, which soon required the additional accommodation of the Galleria dei Candelabri. Once the papacy was committed to centralized conservation, the collections rapidly expanded in the form of different museums on the Vatican site. Between 1807 and 1810 Canova directed the establishment of the Museo Chiaramonti, to display both pagan and Christian Antique sculpture; and by 1822 a large new gallery, the Braccio Nuovo, was required. [Some galleries are within the Palace, others are external buildings.]

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Gates

  • Fountains

  • Gardens

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Renaissance

  • Nineteenth century

Place of Creation
  • +41.906389+12.454444

  • Rome (Vatican City), Santa Sede (Holy See), Italy: Cortile del Belvedere, Vatican Palace and other buildings, Viale Vaticano

  • Vatican City

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.