Antwerp Guild Houses: Overall view, guild houses on the north side of the square

Image

Description

Among those on the north side are the Gildehuis der Kuipers (Coopers’ House; No. 5), the Huis van de Schutters (Archer’s House; No. 7. This is the tallest building, crowned with a statue of St. George) and the Huis van de Kruideniers (Grocers’ House; No. 11).

The Grote Markt is bordered on two sides by a series of Renaissance-style guildhalls, the majority of which were renovated during the 19th century. A third side of the square is occupied by the Stadhuis. The former “gildehuizen” were originally the headquarters of the city’s 16th and 17th century guilds. Among those on the north side are the Gildehuis der Kuipers (Coopers’ House; No. 5), the Huis van de Schutters (Archer’s House; No. 7) and the Huis van de Kruideniers (Grocers’ House; No. 11), while on the southeast side stand the Huis van de Kleermakers (Tailors’ House; No. 38) and the Huis van de Timmerlieden (Carpenters’ House; No. 40). A large part of the Grote Markt burned down in 1576. Most of the houses were rebuilt afterwards by Hans Vredeman, the town architect, in Flemish Renaissance style.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Antwerpen Gildehuizen

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Public buildings

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Sixteenth century

  • Renaissance

  • Seventeenth century

Place of Creation
  • +51.221303+4.400103

  • Antwerp, Flanders, Belgium

  • Antwerp

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Belgium

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.