Musée d'Orsay: Overall raking view of front facade

Image

Description

The Gare d'Orsay was opened in 1900 (to coincide with the Exposition Universelle) but with cessation of rail service in 1939 to the station because of the short platforms, lay abandoned until it was transformed into an art gallery and re-opened as the Musée d'Orsay in 1986. [Parts of the building, including the hotel had remained in use until 1973.] The change from steam to non-polluting electric power traction inside allowed the original rail station to be designed in an opulent single integrated space which influenced later large railway stations in the US. Architects of the 80’s renovation were Gaetana Aulenti and ACT Architecture (members: Renaud Bardon, Pierre Colboc and Jean-Paul Philippon).

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Gare d'Orsay

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Train stations

  • Clocks

  • Architecture

  • Art museums

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Beaux-Arts

  • Nineteenth century

Place of Creation
  • +48.86+2.327

  • Paris

  • Paris, Île-de-France, France: 62, rue de Lille

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.