Olympia: Stadium: View of arched entry to stadium

Image

Description

In the late 3rd century BCE the north-west corner of the stadium was linked with the sanctuary through a narrow roofed corridor.

Towards the mid-5th century BCE the stadium was moved 82 m to the east and 7 m to the north (Stadium III). Excavations have shown that the embankment of the narrow western side was truncated after the mid-4th century BCE, when the Echo Stoa was built, which entirely separated the stadium from the sanctuary. The track of this new stadium was 215.54 m long and about 28.5 m wide. The banks that enclosed it on four sides could accommodate 45,000 spectators, most of whom would sit on the sloping ground, the few stone seats being kept for dignitaries. The stone exedra for the Hellanodikai was opposite the Altar of Demeter Chamyne. In the late 3rd century BCE the north-west corner of the stadium was linked with the sanctuary through a narrow roofed corridor.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Stadium III

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Stadiums

  • Ruins

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Greek (ancient)

  • Early Classical

  • Hellenistic

Place of Creation
  • +37.639167+21.633056

  • Olympia, Peloponnese, Greece: East of the sanctuary

  • Olympia

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Greece

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.