Basilica of Saint Salsa, Tipaza: Overall view, of ruins of the basilica and graveyard

Image

Description

The ancient site of Tipasa (Tipaza) is adjacent to the modern village (founded 1857). The ruins have been designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. It became a Roman municipality under Claudius in 46 CE, built on three small hills, and flourished until the Vandal invasion of 430. Christianity was early introduced, and in the third century Tipaza was a bishop’s see. Tipasa was revived under the Byzantines. The three basilicas (churches) are surrounded by cemeteries, which are full of coffins, all of stone and covered with mosaics. The basilica of St. Salsa, which has been excavated by Stéphane Gsell (1864-1932), consists of a nave and two aisles, and still contains a mosaic. Salsa’s martyrdom took place in the 4th century.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Ruins

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Byzantine

  • Early Christian

Place of Creation
  • Tipasa, El Boulaïda, Algeria: Eastern hill of the old settlement, overlooking the harbor

  • Tipasa

  • +36.583333+2.433333

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Algeria

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.