Town Hall and Belfry, Herentals: Overall view of belfry
The town hall (stadhuis) in the center of Herentals is the former cloth hall (lakenhal) dating from the beginning of the 15th century. Before 1430 called “gulde huys”, “Meethuys” and “loterhuys”; used as town hall since 1430. Almost completely destroyed by fire in 1512, rebuilt in 1534 with belfry. A niche on the north facade houses a Madonna statue from 1616. The narrow belfry contains a carillon with 50 bells (1590). The tower is a UNESCO site. (heritage ID: 47054). It has stripes of red sandstone or brick and white stone, a clock and a bulbous dome cupola.