Temple of Horus at Edfu: View, looking out to the courtyard from within the hypostyle hall

Image

Description

Edfu [ancient Egyptian, Behdet or Djeba; Greek, Apollinopolis; now Idfu] is the site of a temple dedicated to Horus begun by Ptolemy III Euergetes 237 BCE. The Temple of Horus, the most completely preserved of all Egyptian temples, dates mainly to the Ptolemaic period. Horus of Behdet was a divine metaphor for the living king who, having vanquished the enemy, ruled as the victorious winged sun-disc. It was therefore especially appropriate and expedient for the Greek rulers of the Ptolemaic period to venerate the victorious Egyptian divine king Horus, perhaps to reinforce their own kingship and to draw the human parallel that they had liberated Egypt from the Persian yoke.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Temple of Horus

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Columns

  • Architecture

  • Temples

  • Ruins

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Ptolemaic

  • Egyptian (ancient)

Place of Creation
  • IdfÅ«

  • +24.977778+32.873333

  • Temple of Horus (Idfu, Upper Egypt, Egypt): located on the west bank of the Nile River between Esna and Aswan

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Egypt

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.