Ponte Sant'Angelo: Overall view of bridge

Image

Description

The center three spans are original Roman.

The famous Ponte Sant'Angelo (pedestrians only), the ancient Pons Aelius or Pons Adrianus, was built by Emperor Hadrian in 134 AD as a fitting approach from the Campus Martius to his mausoleum, known since the Middle Ages as the Castel Sant'Angelo. Although the Roman bridge was decorated with statues, it was transformed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini when he designed the ten statues on the balustrade of angels holding the symbols of the Passion. The three central arches are part of the original structure; the end arches were restored and enlarged in 1892-1894 during the construction of the Lungotevere embankments.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Pons Adrianus

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Towers

  • Clocks

  • Bridges

  • Statues

  • Castles

  • Sculpture, Italian

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Imperial (Roman)

Place of Creation
  • Rome, Lazio, Italy: over Tiber River

  • Rome

  • +41.901667+12.466458

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.