Saint Michael's Church, Medina del Campo: Overall view, with bridge

Image

Description

The church was built beside the wall gate of the old town, opposite the original city hall, which no longer exists. The oldest parts are Mudéjar-Gothic style; but was renovated several times. The present building dates from the 16th century, with alterations in the 18th century. It has a rectangular plan with a wide nave and another lateral aisle and an attached bell tower. The interior is baroque with two retables; the high altarpiece by Leonardo Carrión and a baroque altarpiece from the 18th century, decorated with a multitude of tiny mirrors. It is also noted for its Baroque 18th century organ.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Iglesia de San Miguel

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Bell towers

  • Churches

  • Bridges

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Baroque

  • Mudéjar

Place of Creation
  • Medina del Campo

  • Medina del Campo, Valladolid, Spain

  • +41.311637-4.913213

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.