House of the Shells: Raking view of facade with shells and window ornamentation

Image

Description

It was built from 1493 to 1517 by Rodrigo Arias de Maldonado, a knight of the Order of Santiago de Compostela and a professor in the University of Salamanca. Its most peculiar feature is the façade, mixing late Gothic and Plateresque style, decorated with more than 300 shells, symbol of the order of Santiago, as well as of the pilgrims performing the Way of St. James. On the façade are also the coat of arms of the Catholic Kings. The entrance portal has the coat of arms of the Maldonado family, while in the architrave are dolphins, a Renaissance symbol of love, and vegetal elements. The inner courtyard has a double arcade. It houses a public library today.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Casa de las Conchas

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Libraries

  • Decorative arts

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Renaissance

  • Plateresque

Place of Creation
  • +40.963522-5.665840

  • Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain: Calle de la Compañía, 2

  • Salamanca

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.