Theater of Dionysos: Theater of Dionysos, view looking away from the seating towards skene

Image

Description

Hadrian’s arch visible in middle ground and Temple of Olympian Zeus in upper left. Comment–this slide is reversed.

Dionysiac festivals were at first performed on a flat circular area in the Agora of Athens, but were transferred about 500 BCE to the sloping southern side of the Acropolis, where a temple to Dionysus was also built with an outside altar. It formed part of the temenos of “Dionysus Eleuthereus”. An enlarged, stone-version of the theatre, which was built c. 325 BCE, seated between 14,000 to 17,000 spectators. After this it fell into disuse and little is recorded until 61 CE where there is evidence of major renovations done by the emperor Nero. The remains of a restored and redesigned Roman version can still be seen at the site today.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Theaters

  • Architecture

  • Amphitheaters

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Greek (ancient)

  • Greco-Roman

Place of Creation
  • Athens

  • +37.97034+23.727784

  • Athens, Periféreia Protevoúsis, Greece: southern side of Acropolis slope

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Greece

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.