A number of religious orders had splendid houses built, for example the Dominican monastery of S Esteban (1590-1599). Its church (1524) by Juan de Alava contains a retable (1692) by José Benito de Churriguera. The complex contains the monumental church and several convent rooms, including a sacristy, a capitol hall, three cloisters and a library. The main portal of the church was decorated between 1590 and 1660. The tympanum shows a sculpture of the “Martyrdom of St. Stephen”, by Juan Antonio Ceroni. Over it is another frieze, depicting a Calvary crowned by the Eternal Father, in Italian style.