Fountain of the Rivers Ariege and Garonne: Overall raking view in its original location in Jardin des Plantes

Image

Description

The Musée du Vieux Toulouse owns a plaster model made by Falguière. The final fountain was completed by Laporte (Falguière’s student). There are changes in the design from the model to the executed fountain, but the iconography remains the same. The personification of the Garonne River spreads its arms between the rocks of the Pyrenees where it originates. The Ariege, below, discharges its water through an urn, symbolizing the function of a tributary of the Garonne. The fountain was originally in the Jardin des Plantes; it was moved in 1982 to Place Auguste Lafourcade (outside the Palais de Justice) in Toulouse.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Fontaine Ariège et Garonne

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Sculpture, French

  • Architecture

  • Fountains

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Beaux-Arts

  • Nineteenth century

Place of Creation
  • Toulouse

  • +43.591928+1.444879

  • Toulouse, Midi-Pyrénées, France

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.