The centre of the nave is dominated by the beautiful freestanding Cappella del Crocefisso (Chapel of the Crucifix), designed by Michelozzo in 1448. It originally housed the miraculous crucifix now in Santa Trìnita and is decorated with panels long thought to be painted by Agnolo Gaddi. The terracotta decoration of the vault is by Luca della Robbia.
Buildings in Tuscany were conservative and followed Early Christian models. An important feature of Florentine Romanesque is exemplified by the striking use of coloured marble inlays to form lively geometrical patterns seen also at S Miniato al Monte, with an interior articulated by the rhythmic alternating system of columnar and quadrilobed piers, the latter rising to diaphragm arches.