Mystras: Hagioi Theodoroi: Overall view, seen from above, apsidal wall to the right

Image

Description

The large complex of the monastery of the Brontochion occupies the northernmost corner of the Lower Town. It has two churches, Hagioi Theodoroi and the Hodegetria, also known as Aphentiko. Hagioi Theodoroi combines a cruciform plan with a domed octagon. According to an inscription, it was built ca. 1290-1295. Only poorly preserved fragments of the original wall paintings have survived. The church has four funerary chapels; the north-east chapel contains representations of an emperor, probably Manuel II Palaiologos (reigned 1391-1425), while the south-east chapel has portraits of two noblemen wearing conical hats that are among the most interesting paintings in Mystras.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Saint Theodore

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Churches

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Byzantine

Place of Creation
  • MistrĂ¡s, Peloponnese, Greece: Mystras, about 5 km south-west of Sparta

  • +37.066667+22.383333

  • MistrĂ¡s

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Greece

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.