Mystras: Hagioi Theodoroi: Dome of Hagioi Theodoroi visible within the enclosure of the Brontochion
The large complex of the monastery of the Brontochion occupies the northernmost corner of the Lower Town. It has two churches, Hagioi Theodoroi and the Hodegetria, also known as Aphentiko. Hagioi Theodoroi combines a cruciform plan with a domed octagon. According to an inscription, it was built ca. 1290-1295. Only poorly preserved fragments of the original wall paintings have survived. The church has four funerary chapels; the north-east chapel contains representations of an emperor, probably Manuel II Palaiologos (reigned 1391-1425), while the south-east chapel has portraits of two noblemen wearing conical hats that are among the most interesting paintings in Mystras.