Arena of Nîmes: Detail, exterior walls
The Arena of Nîmes is a Roman amphitheater found in the French city of Nîmes. Built around 100 A.D., it was remodeled in 1863 to serve as a bullring. The Arena of Nimes is the site of two annual bullfights, and it is also used for other public events. The building encloses an elliptical central space 133 m long by 101 m wide. It is ringed by 34 rows of seats supported by a vaulted construction. It has a capacity of 16,300 spectators and since 1989 has a movable cover and a heating system. The Arena of Nîmes was constructed in the time of Emperor Augustus. As the Empire fell, the amphitheater was fortified by the Visigoths and surrounded by a wall.