Circus of Maxentius: West end, remains of one of the two remaining towers

Image

Description

The Circus of Maxentius (known until the 19th century as the Circus of Caracalla) is part of a complex of buildings erected by that emperor on the Via Appia between AD 306-312. It is situated between the second and third miles of the Via Appia between the basilica and catacombs of San Sebastiano and the imposing late republican tomb of Caecilia Metella, which dominates the hill that rises immediately to the east of the complex. The Circus itself is the best preserved of all Roman circuses, and is second only in size to the Circus Maximus in Rome. The only games recorded at the circus were its inaugural ones and these are generally thought to have been funerary in character. They would have been held in honour of Maxentius’ son Valerius Romulus, who died in AD 309 at a very young age.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Arenas

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Roman (ancient Italian style)

  • Imperial (Roman)

Place of Creation
  • +41.854722+12.522453

  • Rome, Lazio, Italy: On the Appian Way

  • Rome

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.