Church of Saint Adalbert, Aachen: View of spire in the square
Chapter St. Adalbert (Sankt-Adalbertstift zu Aachen) was a chapter of canons founded at Aix-la-Chapelle by the Emperor Otto III, Holy Roman Emperor, in the last years of his reign. The chapter was related to the collegiate church, dedicated to Adalbert of Prague, martyred in the year 997. In 1005, the chapter was founded and the church completed. Lands and rents were donated by Emperor Henry II (whose statue is under a porch on the church facade) in 1005 that remained the possessions of the canons until 1802. The Basilica was heavily damaged by the bombing of Aix-la-Chapelle 14 July 1943 and was rebuilt in 1950.