The campanile is the famous leaning tower (Torre pendente di Pisa), begun 1173.
The cathedral is a basilica with double aisles of different widths, a matroneo (“women’s gallery”) and an apsidal east end. The new façade was begun (ca. 1110-1125) by Rainaldo and his workshop, who probably also lengthened the nave by three bays. The cathedral was consecrated in 1118 under Pope Gelasius (reigned 1118-1119). The façade was possibly completed ca. 1165 by Guglielmo and his school.