San Giovanni degli Eremiti: Exterior, view of Islamic influenced domes and bell tower

Image

Description

Construction of this church began after the death of St. William of Monte Vergine (1085-1142) and was entrusted to his disciples, known as the Eremiti (hermits) of Montevergine. It was completed by the end of 1148, when it was turned over to the Eremiti by Roger II with a charter stating that it was built at his expense. The exact date of construction is complicated by the presumed existence on the same site of a Roman temple, a Byzantine building, which was perhaps the Gregorian monastery of S Ermete, and a mosque, on the remains of which the south side of the church was probably built. The characteristic hemispherical domes, best viewed from the outside, are derived from the Arab heritage; the central plan and the T-shaped cross plan come from the Middle Byzantine and Latin traditions respectively.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Church of St. John of the Hermits

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Churches

  • Architecture

  • Domes

  • Bell towers

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Norman

  • Medieval

  • Crusader (style)

Place of Creation
  • Palermo, Sicily, Italy: near the Palazzo dei Normanni

  • +38.109722+13.354722

  • Palermo

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.