Guildhall, London: View of central facade entrance

Image

Description

The present grand entrance (the east wing of the south front), in “Hindoostani Gothic”, was added in 1788 by George Dance (and restored in 1910).

It has been used as a town hall for several hundred years, and is still the ceremonial and administrative centre of the City of London and its Corporation. The Guildhall complex houses the offices of the City of London Corporation (only the City; not greater London) and various public facilities. It is a town hall, not actually a guild building; perhaps from the Anglo-Saxon ‘gild’, meaning payment, with a “gild-hall” being where citizens would pay their taxes. Parts of the current building date from 1411, (with older medieval crypts) and it is the only stone building not belonging to the Church to have survived the Great Fire of London in 1666. The present grand entrance (the east wing of the south front), in “Hindoostani Gothic”, was added in 1788 by George Dance (and restored in 1910).

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Guildhalls

  • Public buildings

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Late Gothic

  • Gothic Revival

Place of Creation
  • +51.5159-0.092

  • London, England, United Kingdom

  • London

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of United Kingdom

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.