St. Elizabeth's Church, Wiesbaden: Overall view on the top of the hill, main southern facade

Image

Description

The Russian Orthodox Church of Saint Elizabeth was built on the Neroberg [a hill overlooking the city] from 1847 to 1855 by Duke Adolf of Nassau on the occasion of the early death of his wife Elizabeth Mikhailovna, who died in childbirth. The architect was Philipp Hoffmann. The popular local name translates as “Greek Chapel”. The church was used by the already-existing Russian Orthodox community, mainly Russian guests, for whom Wiesbaden was a popular resort in the 19th century. Even Tsar Nicholas II worshipped in the church during his stay in Germany. Hoffmann used the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow as an inspiration.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Russisch-Orthodoxe Kirche der heiligen Elisabeth in Wiesbaden

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Churches

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • neo-Russian Style

  • Nineteenth century

Place of Creation
  • Wiesbaden, Hesse, Germany: Neroberg

  • +50.102431+8.234591

  • Wiesbaden

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.