Church of the Most Holy Name of Mary at the Trajan Forum: Overall view of facade and street

Image

Description

Note the trolley on tracks along with horse-drawn vehicles.

The interior is elliptical. There are seven small chapels, decorated in polychrome marble. The church of SS Nome di Maria in Trajan’s Forum was Derizet’s most important work. Cardinal Lodovico Pico della Mirandola greatly favoured Derizet’s project and imposed it on the Confraternity. Although initial drawings (Berlin, Kstbib.) show a determinedly Rococo design, with a two-storey, pedimented, curved façade, the final building was a conscious imitation of the adjacent S Maria di Loreto (begun early 16th century), with a drum over an octagonal base. The plan was a transverse ellipse, perhaps derived from Jacopo Vignola’s S Anna dei Palafrenieri, Rome (1565-1576).

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Santissimo Nome di Maria al Foro Traiano

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Churches

  • Architecture

  • Domes

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Eighteenth century

Place of Creation
  • Rome

  • +41.896142+12.484556

  • Rome, Lazio, Italy: 89 Foro Traiano

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.