Alcázar of Seville: Garden, pavilion of Charles V

Image

Description

The Dar al-Imara (913-914), the original nucleus of the Alcázar, was built over the old basilica by the Umayyad ruler Abd al-Rahman III (reg 912-961) and was enlarged in the 11th century by a series of fortified walls extending towards the west, which resulted in a new palace complex called Alcázar al-Mubarak, or El Bendito. After the Reconquista the Alcázar became the favourite residence of the monarchs of Castile. Peter the Cruel (reigned 1350-1369) substantially rebuilt (1364-1366) the Alcázar using artists from Toledo and Granada and Sevillian Mudéjar craftsmen. The upper levels of the Alcázar are still used by the royal family as the official Seville residence and are administered by the Patrimonio Nacional.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Reales Alcázares de Sevilla

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Gardens

  • Pavilions

  • Decorative arts

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Gothic (Medieval)

  • Almohad

  • Umayyad

  • Mudéjar

Place of Creation
  • Seville

  • Seville, Seville, Spain

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.