Aachen Cathedral: Exterior detail, a Late Gothic entry to the Palantine Chapel

Image

Description

[Aachen is Aix-la-Chapelle in French.] Aachen Cathedral, frequently referred to as the “Imperial Cathedral” (Kaiserdom), was known as the “Royal Church of St. Mary at Aachen” during the Middle Ages. For 600 years, from 936 to 1531, the Aachen chapel (Palantine Chapel) was the church of coronation for 30 German kings and 12 queens. Dedicated to the Virgin, the chapel was nearing completion in 798, according to a letter of Alcuin. A lost inscription inside the building ascribed its construction to Odo of Metz, an individual otherwise unknown (see Schlosser, 1896). Charlemagne was buried in his chapel in 814. In 1165, through the instigation of Frederick Barbarossa, he was canonized, and his remains drew many pilgrims. Between 1355 and 1414 the eastern square apse was replaced by a double-bay apsed choir with extremely tall traceried windows and a quadripartite rib vault. The chapel was designated the cathedral of a newly constituted diocese in 1802.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Kaiserdom

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Decorative arts

  • Sculpture, German

  • Cathedrals

  • Statues

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Carolingian (style and period)

  • Gothic (Medieval)

  • Medieval

Place of Creation
  • Aachen

  • Aachen Cathedral (Aachen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany): [Aix-la-Chapelle in French]; Klosterplatz 2

  • +50.774722+6.084444

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.