Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute: Overall exterior view, viewed from the Grand Canal

Image

Description

In 1630 Venice experienced an unusually devastating outbreak of the plague. As a votive offering for the city’s deliverance from the pestilence, the Republic of Venice vowed to build and dedicate a church to Our Lady of Health (or of Deliverance, Italian: Salute). The resulting domed church of S Maria della Salute, built at the junction of the Giudecca and Grand canals at the focal point of the city of Venice, occupied Longhena for more than 50 years and was consecrated after his death on 9 November 1687. Its governing concept–an octagonal space surrounded by an ambulatory–appeared in Italy in Early Christian and Byzantine architecture. Its sculptural exterior characterized by massive scrolls buttressing the dome, Longhena’s Salute incorporates subtle scenographic effects and is one of the most important buildings of the early Italian Baroque.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Basilica of Saint Mary of Health

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Decorative arts

  • Sculpture, Italian

  • Architecture

  • Basilica

  • Domes

  • Canals

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Palladian

  • Baroque

  • Seventeenth century

Place of Creation
  • Venice, Veneto, Italy: Campo della Salute, Dorsoduro

  • Venice

  • 45.430833+12.334444

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.