Temple of Jupiter, Baalbek: Overall view, remaining columns of the eastern facade of the Temple of Jupiter; Temple of Bacchus in background

Image
Und:ms35t725f2c

Description

The original number of Jupiter columns was 54 columns. In the early 20th century an earthquake reduced the 9 remaining columns to six. The architrave and frieze blocks weigh up to 60 tons each, and one corner block over 100 tons, all of them raised to a height of ca. 19.9 m above the ground.

The Sanctuary of Jupiter Heliopolitanus contains the vast Temple of Jupiter at its western end. The buildings appear to have been planned and begun soon after the foundation of the Roman colony ca. 16 BCE. The oldest building in the complex is the Temple of Jupiter, which was standing almost to capital height by AD 60, as a graffito found on one of the topmost column drums shows. Enlargements and embellishments, including the construction of elaborate approaches to the temple, were carried out down to the 3rd century AD in the time of Philip the Arab, and the architectural decoration of the complex was never entirely completed.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Temples

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Imperial (Roman)

  • Greco-Roman

Place of Creation
  • Ba'labakk

  • Ba'labakk, Al-Biqaʻ, Lebanon: situated east of the Litani River, 64 km to the north-east of Beirut

  • +34.006944+36.203889

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Lebanon

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.