Church of Saint Gervais and Saint Protais, Gisors: Detail, carved wooden door of the portal of the northern transept

Image

Description

The new church, begun by Blanche de Castille in the second quarter of the 13th century, was consecrated in 1239 by Eudes Rigaud, archbishop of Rouen. The Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais parish church fuses Gothic and Renaissance architecture. The three-storey Gothic choir dates from 1249. A helicoid staircase gives access to the organ; of Renaissance style, it was influenced by the staircase of the castle of Blois (Loir-et-Cher). The Grosse Tour (“Big Tower”) of the church (the north tower) was built between 1542 and 1590. The portal of the northern non-projecting transept still has finely carved wooden doors, which remain the first examples of use of the Renaissance style in the church. It was classified as a historic monument in 1840.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Église Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais, Gisors

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Decorative arts

  • Doors

  • Architecture

  • Churches

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Renaissance

  • Gothic (Medieval)

Place of Creation
  • Gisors, Haute-Normandie, France

  • Gisors

  • +49.27930+1.775830

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.