Santa Maria del Popolo: Overall exterior view

Image

Description

Begun 1099, Santa Maria del Popolo was reconstructed by Baccio Pontelli and Andrea Bregno in 1472-1477, commissioned by the association of the Lombards of Rome, creating an excellent example of Italian Renaissance architecture. In 1655-1660 the facade was modified by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, who was asked by Pope Alexander VII to update the Renaissance church to a more modern Baroque style. [Wikipedia] “Another church project in Rome commissioned from Bramante by Julius II was the extended choir for S Maria del Popolo (completed 1509), built to house the tombs of Cardinal Ascanio Sforza and Cardinal Girolamo Basso della Rovere (d 1507).” [Santa Maria del Popolo contains important chapels: della Rovere, Chigi, Cybo, and Sant'Agostino.]

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Decorative arts

  • Churches

  • Architecture

  • Domes

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Renaissance

  • Baroque

Place of Creation
  • Rome, Lazio, Italy: Piazza del Popolo

  • +41.911389+12.476389

  • Rome

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.