Tebessa basilica Byzantine

Image
Und:ng451g08g7r

Description

From the time of the synod of Carthage in 256 there was a Christian community and a bishop in Thevestis. Funeral epitaphs attest to Vandal occupation in the second half of the 5th century. After the Byzantine reconquest of North Africa in 533, however, the town gained in military importance and became a marketing centre. The Christian complex that was established (ca. 400) in a pagan necropolis to the north of the town walls is the most impressive surviving example of Early Christian architecture in Algeria. The complex was enclosed, had avenues and included a basilica, arches, fountains, gardens and other structures.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Christian complex at Tebessa: Detail of entry to enclosure

  • Basilica of St. Crispina, Tebessa

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Architecture

  • Arches

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Byzantine

  • Early Christian

Place of Creation
  • +35.4+8.116667

  • Tbessa

  • Tbessa, Tbessa, Algeria: Alternate names T├ębessa, ancient Theveste

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Algeria

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.