The tent roof is criss-crossed with white stone rhombus patterns.
Built in 1532 by Vasily III (reigned 1505-1533) on a sloping hillside above the river, presumably as a thanks-offering for the birth of his son, later Ivan IV. The central, square plan is enclosed by a tall, multi-faceted polygon that supports an octagonal tower crowned with a tent roof, itself surmounted by a lantern and cupola. A covered gallery resting on an arcade and approached by three stairways surrounds the lower part of the church. The massive brick walls, originally painted red, were elaborately decorated with white stone pilasters, gables, shafts rising above the narrow windows and three rows of kokoshniki arches on each side. A UNESCO World Heritage Site.