Fritschi Fountain: Overall view
The Fritschi Fountain was built in 1918 on Kapellplatz. Though actually less than 100 years old, the fountain stands in the tradition of much older Renaissance style fountains with painted allegoric figures on top. The figure on top of the Fritschi Fountain is not Fritschi himself, but a standard bearer. The 4 column masks on the column represent Fritschi, his wife, a nursemaid and a servant. There are 4 fools spewing water from goat horns near the base. The story of the legendary Brother Fritschi plays an important role in Lucerne’s Carnival tradition and dates back to about 1450.