The wood and ivory pulpit is original to the mosque, dated 1415.
Al-Mu'ayyad Shaykh, a Burgi, or Circassian, Mamluk, was sultan from 1412 to 1421. The complex includes a mosque, madrasa, mausoleum and khanqah (also khanaqah; living quarters for Sufis). This was the last great hypostyle mosque to be built in Cairo. The minarets carry the name of their architect, al-Mu'allim Muhammad Ibn al-Qazzaz and thus far, this is the only known signature of a Mamluk architect on a building.