Templum Pacis: View showing streetcar running past the Corinthian columns of the Templum Pacis

Image

Description

Between 71 and 75 CE the splendid Templum Pacis was built on the site of the old public market to commemorate the victory in Judea by Vespasian (reigned 69-79). The temple was connected to the Imperial Fora, to which it formed an appendix on the southeast side, and was surrounded by a monumental porticoed square resembling a forum, although only at the end of the Empire was it called the Forum Pacis.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Forum Pacis

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Columns

  • Temples

  • Architecture

  • Ruins

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Imperial (Roman)

Place of Creation
  • Rome, Lazio, Italy

  • Rome

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.